Samarco expects to restart operations in Q4 this year

Friday, 11 March 2016 16:26:50 (GMT+3)   |   Istanbul
Brazilian pellet producer Samarco, a joint venture between Vale and BHP Billiton, expects to restart its mining operations at its Minas Gerais iron ore mine in the fourth quarter of the current year, its chief executive Roberto Carvalho told Reuters on March 10. Operations at the mine in Minas Gerais were halted following an iron ore dam burst in November last year. 
 
Mr. Carvalho also told Reuters that for at least two years the company expects to produce 19 million mt of iron ore pellet per year, which is lower than the average annual production of about 30 million mt before the dam burst, until finding a permanent solution to store the tailings. 
 
Samarco agreed to pay BRL 4.4 billion ($1.09 billion) over three years for the recovery plan for the Doce river that was harmed by the dam burst. Recovery of the river will take about 10 years and Samarco could pay more if BRL 4.4 billion is not enough.

Marketplace Offers

DRI
Dimensions:  9 - 16 mm
SUEZ STEEL CO.
Lumps
Dimensions:  0 mm
ATAY COMPANY
Lumps
Dimensions:  0 mm
Wuchan zhongda international group

Similar articles

UNCTAD: Global iron ore output hits record high in 2011

BHP Billiton increases its iron ore prices for China

Anglo American joins Queensland coal companies declaring force majeure

Possible impacts of iron ore price cut by ‘big three’ on China’s steel industry

Big three iron ore giants cut iron ore prices for China by 10 percent

Spot iron ore prices expected to decline, backed by increased exports

Iron ore prices in China range-bound, but mood cautiously positive for next week

Major steel and raw material futures prices in China - August 20 , 2026

Brazilian high-grade iron ore prices decline on lower Chinese demand

Daily iron ore prices CFR China - August 19, 2026