Former Vale CEO charged with murder in Brumadinho disaster case

Tuesday, 21 January 2020 00:39:43 (GMT+3)   |   Sao Paulo
       

Brazilian prosecutors in the state of Minas Gerais charged Vale’s former CEO Fabio Schvartsman and 15 other people with murder Tuesday in the case relating to the Brumadinho disaster, which killed thus far 259 people.

Executives from Vale and TUD SUD, the company attesting the safety of the failing Brumadinho dam, were also charged with murder.

While presenting their criminal charges against the Vale and TUV SUD executives, prosecutors said both companies had a list of the “top-10” dams at risk.

“Such a list was kept secretly, internally by Vale. A list of dams in unacceptable safety conditions. That was how these ten dams were known,” said William Coelho, coordinator of the prosecutors task force.

“Vale hasn’t paid any favor to either the state or the affected (people). Everything (Vale) has done has been determined by courts or is subject to a deal within a legal framework,” general prosecutor Antonio Sergio Tonet said.

Minas Gerais state governor Romeu Zema said earlier this week it hasn’t been easy to negotiate repairs due to the disaster with Vale.


Most Recent Related Articles

Vale reduces production guidance

MMX to sell Corumbá iron ore mine

Vale increases Laranjeiras dam risk to level 2 out of 3

Brazilian audit court allows concession of railway section that will transport iron ore

Vale not overloading the market with iron ore supply