Nippon Steel denies Usiminas’ split claims

Thursday, 02 June 2016 23:28:46 (GMT+3)   |   Sao Paulo
Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation (NSSMC), a major shareholder at Brazil flats producer Usiminas, denied this week a media report that said a split could occur at Usiminas, as previously reported by SteelOrbis.

NSSMC has opposed the appointment of Sergio Leite, a candidate supported by co-controlling shareholder Techint, as Usiminas’ CEO. NSSMC said it will appeal the decision.

The CEO change was said to have accelerated NSSMC’s desire to split the assets of the Brazil flats producer.

“NSSMC has not made such a decision,” the company said on Wednesday, while referring to the alleged company split.

The split has been seen as an alternative to end legal disputes involving the two shareholders. None of the companies have confirmed or denied plans to split the company.


Similar articles

Ternium is buying Nippon Steel and Mitsubishi remaining stakes in Usiminas

Usiminas, Nippon Steel update service deal with Unigal

Ternium and Nippon Steel agree to end legal disputes over Usiminas

Nippon Steel asks court to annul election of Usiminas’ new CEO

Nippon Steel rejects Usiminas bid proposal

Court ousts Ternium-appointed CEO; Nippon’s chosen exec to lead Usiminas

Nippon Steel to appeal appointment of Sergio Leite as Usiminas’ CEO

Shareholders at Usiminas discuss company’s split

Brazilian court rules against Techint in Usiminas executive firing case

Techint opposes Nippon Steel’s Usiminas strategy