Prosecutors demand court to seize $196.2 million from Vale

Thursday, 09 April 2020 22:40:05 (GMT+3)   |   Sao Paulo
       

Minas Gerais state prosecutors filed a lawsuit this week demanding the seizure of BRL 1 billion ($196.2 million) from iron ore producer Vale.

Prosecutors said the request is to guarantee Vale will eventually aid communities near its Doutor dam, located at its Timbopeba mine in the city of Ouro Preto. Residents were removed from the site as Vale increased the risk level of the dam to 2.

The Doutor mine is among several to have its risk level increased to 2, ranging from 1 to 3, in which level 3 indicates a structure is likely to collapse. Vale said the dams that raised their risk level from 1 to 2 include the B3/B4 dam at its Mar Azul mine, the Doutor dam at its Timbopeba mine, as well as its Sul Inferior dam at its Gongo Soco mine.

All three dams halted activities and don’t have a certificate attesting they are safe. The risk level increased from 1 to 2 from September 2019 to March 2020, as previously reported by SteelOrbis.


Most Recent Related Articles

Vale wins injunction allowing it to reopen Itabira mine complex

Brazilian audit court rejects proposal to renew Vale's iron ore railway

Vale ordered to guarantee $1.5 billion for eventual corruption fine

Vale sees reduced risk of halting operations

Vale ordered to pay compensation for Brumadinho-related deaths