You are here: Home > Steel News > Latest Steel News > Japan’s ...

Japan’s galvanized sheet shipments stable in Q1

Wednesday, 16 May 2012 16:26:01 (GMT+2)   -  

Tags: galvanized , flats , Japan , Far East , production , consumption , imp/exp statistics , steelmaking , East Asia and Pacific | similar articles » SteelOrbis News

In March this year, Japan's galvanized sheet shipments amounted to 1.1 million metric tons, increasing by nine percent on month-on-month basis and were up by 10 percent compared to March in the previous year, according to data from the Japan Iron and Steel Federation (JISF). 66 percent of the country's galvanized sheet shipments in March were made to the domestic market, while the remaining 34 percent were made to the export markets.

In the first quarter of the current year, Japan's galvanized sheet shipments amounted to 3.02 million metric tons, remaining unchanged compared to the first quarter of the previous year.

Meanwhile, in March this year Japan's galvanized sheet inventories decreased slightly by 1.5 percent month on month to 1.05 million metric tons, and were up five percent year on year. 59 percent of inventories were held by steel manufacturers, while 41 percent were held by steel traders.

The average domestic price for galvanized sheet in Japan in March was JPY 102,000/mt (approx. $1,269/mt), rising JPY 1,000/mt (approx. $12.4/mt) compared to the previous month and remaining stable year on year.

In the month in question, Japan's galvanized sheet output totaled 1.08 million metric tons, increasing by 12 percent over the previous month and up nine percent year on year. In the first quarter of this year, the country's galvanized sheet output amounted to 3.04 million metric tons, increasing by one percent on year-on-year basis.

Back All Articles
Back All Articles