Japanese CR sheet output climbs 82 percent in January

Friday, 05 March 2010 14:08:10 (GMT+3)   -  
SteelOrbis News

According to the Japan Iron and Steel Federation (JISF) data, in January this year Japan's cold rolled sheet and strip output totaled 605,806 metric tons, decreasing by 5.64 percent over December 2009 and up 82.21 percent year on year. In December, the country's cold rolled sheet and strip output had attained its highest level recorded since September 2008.

Meanwhile, total Japanese shipments of CR sheet and strip in January amounted to 628,325 metric tons, remaining unchanged as compared to the previous month and climbing by 101.61 percent over January 2009. During the month in question, 50.74 percent of shipments were made to the domestic market, while the remaining 49.26 percent were made to the export markets.

In January, Japan's CR sheet and strip inventories declined by 3.59 percent over the previous month, reaching 604,245 metric tons, and were down 12.52 percent year on year. 71.89 percent of inventories were held by steel manufacturers, while 28.11 percent were held by steel traders.

The average domestic price for CR sheet and strip in Japan in January was JPY 77,000/mt ($862/mt), remaining unchanged compared to December, but down 21.43 percent year on year.

Tags: crc , flats , Japan , Far East , production , consumption , steelmaking | similar articles »